Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Boymom

Boymom.  (I’m also a girlmom…but this post's about Sawyer).


Wearing dad's hat...


So this kid turns 4 this month and I’m pretty sure he’s told everyone within a 40 mile radius that his birthday is tomorrow (aside: his birthday is not tomorrow…he just wishes it was). 

I started thinking of all the things he can do by himself, not the least of which is going number one on any available patch of grass.  He can count, pull string cheese apart without help, and get himself in his car seat.  He can also put himself to bed.  Without me...

Without.Me.   

But back before he started being so independent, I would sing to him every night.  I made up a song just about him.  (Song-making-up is not new behavior for me…I make up songs with our kids all the time.)  But the song I made for him goes like this:

There once was a pirate named Sawyer;
He lived on a big boat.

He gathered up his treasures
From deserted islands remote.

He traveled with a gang of guys
And two big giant geese.

He wore an eye patch made of silver,
And a plaid shirt made of fleece.

He ventured on the high seas,
As pirates often do.

He found his calling in the breeze,
And his soul, it just knew.


Anyway, that was before.  Now the kid goes to school without me.

About school:  Back in the spring, I sat down to fill out an application for an amazing preschool in town (shout out to the Clovis Nazarene School!!!).  Seriously y’all, they’re THE BEST.  Anyway, he could hardly wait to go to school.

Backstory: I'm pretty sure I messed him up before he ever got there (sorry Mrs. Wendie and Ms. Robyn...)  I tried for three solid weeks to teach him the letter “A” …   THREE. SOLID. WEEKS. Y'ALL.    At the end of the third week, we sat down to dinner.  
Adam: What letter does the alphabet begin with? 
Sawyer (pauses to think…): “M!” 
Adam:  No bud, it starts with the letter “A.”  How ‘bout this?  What sound does the letter “A” make? 
Sawyer (pauses to think):  Ssssssss! 
Adam (Changing directions...points to a picture of an alligator we had colored that day): This animal starts with the letter “A” … What is this animal? 
Sawyer: Crocodile!!!
After those three weeks, it was abundantly clear that we needed professional help.  So he’s been attending preschool for a few months (read: they’ve been trying to un-do all the damage I caused this summer).  And he LOVES it there!  But he has one complaint: the school bus never takes him anywhere.  That is, until today. 

My little guy went on his FIRST FIELD TRIP.  He went to St. Bernard Farms with his school.  And as fun as that was, I’m convinced a drive around the block in the school bus would’ve satisfied his sweet little heart.  The amount of love he has for school buses cannot be overstated here.  Every time we go to church, we pass a lot where a school bus is parked…and every time he excitedly exclaims, “School bus!  School bus!!!”  Then there was the fact that we had to take First Day of School pictures in front of -- you guessed it -- the school bus.


First day of school pic with the bus!

I couldn’t go on the field trip with him but I was *that mom* who went back to the school just to take pictures of him getting on the bus. 

First field trip, first bus ride.
And, I was thankful for a sweet mom friend who did go – she took several pictures of him out at the pun-king patch (read: pumpkin patch).


10/3/17: Pumpkin Patch
So, all that to say, my once newborn little boy is becoming a BIG kid.  What with riding a school bus and all.  And who knows what tomorrow will bring?  I’ll look up and he’ll be asking for the car keys.  But for today at least, stay my little boy. 



From the Fullness of His Grace,

Lacey


No comments :

Post a Comment