Monday, October 16, 2017

1,462: A Birthday Letter To Sawyer

What a difference 1,462 days makes…

This boy turns 4 today and my heart is aching!  Every year we get to celebrate this amazing kid and every year on his birthday, it’s like hitting the restart button on my little corner of the world.


Top Left: Birthday.  Top Right: One Years Old.
Bottom Left: Two Years Old.  Bottom Middle: Three Years Old.  Bottom Right: 4 Years Old.


Dear Sawyer,

Anytime you want to stop growing and remain just as you are – sweet and mostly innocent—I’m game.  I’ve now known you for 1,462 days (plus the 36 weeks I carried you).  Lots of things escape me and the ever-increasing amount of gray hairs might be to blame, but I vividly remember the moment you entered the world.  You were scrawny and squishy and pink and you didn’t let out even the tiniest of cries.  Because you came earlier than planned, you bought yourself a 7-day all-expense-paid stay in the NICU.  But I didn’t seem to care because it gave me more time with you. I studied your face…your one-sided dimple just like your dad, (and now, your baby sister too); your expressive eyebrows, skinny feet, and teensey weensy little mouth.  I’ll admit, some things have changed – your mouth isn’t so small anymore, your feet are growing by the minute, and your once quiet entrance has shifted into what can only be described as a constant roaring noise.  You are a loud, mostly dirt-covered, rock-loving, hard-working, bug-inspecting little man.  And you’re helpful, or at least that’s your heart most days. 

You are kind and so very smart {sometimes a smidge too smart for your own good}.  

You are caring and you work as hard as you play.  

You are opinionated and strong-willed.  

You are exuberant and boisterous and your joy is contagious.   

You are funny and silly and lovable.  

You are genuine.  

You are curious and forgiving.  

You are also mischievous…you’ve spent your fair share of time in the corner but you are growing into an honest and genuine young man.  When you find yourself in the crosshairs of a lie, a battle with your sister, or simple disobedience, you’re quick to point out why it’s wrong…because it doesn’t honor Jesus, you tell me. 

This year you started pre-school, played soccer, and moved into a real BIG boy bed. This year, you’ve made me laugh until I cried.  You’ve learned how to say consequences, and started understanding the importance of loving your sister. 

My heart melts when I watch you do the things you love … when you hug your sister, ask to be able to help, say thank you to a stranger, hold the door for someone else, call your dad your hero…

You are growing so much each day.  I love you.  I loved you the second I found out about you…and I loved you when you arrived…and I love you at four…and I’ll love you forever!

Happiest of Birthdays, sweet boy!

1 comment :