Wednesday, September 13, 2017

How's Parenting Going, Episode 1: Soda Shower

How’s parenting going, you ask…

Well, other than the fact that I thought I found Waldo in the fibers of a bath towel Monday night, I’d say pretty good…?

On Monday, before soccer, we made a mad dash to the doctor for some lab draws for Addison (I just put this here because later on, when some other doctor asks me when we had labs drawn, I can just find it on the blog, right there, in the appointment room, without fumbling with my planner…which, truthfully, in this hypothetical situation, I’ve probably left my planner on the crumb-covered van floor…).

Afterwards, we ran to Office Max for some dry erase markers.  Sawyer’s school is doing a kindness project for a pre-school in Houston that was devastated by Hurricane Harvey.  We did, however, eventually make it to soccer.  Once soccer was over, Sawyer practiced his song for Grandparent’s Day and worked on his memory verse for school while Addison cried…first over her mis-matched sippy cup lid and then later over the fact that her band aid was Mickey Mouse, not Minnie.



That was Monday.

... ... ... ...

Then last night the kids and I ran to Walgreens while Adam dealt with a kitchen cabinet issue at home.  

At Walgreens, a lady was trying to get a 12-pack of soda out.  She asked an employee for help.  He told her it would be fine, to just pull and get the one she wanted.  (Aside, she wanted one that was in the middle because they didn’t have any of that kind on the edge…)  She started tugging but looked back at the employee who just nodded from behind the counter.  Again she tried but it wouldn’t budge.   She looked back at the employee, are you sure? she asked.  The reply came back: just get the one you want, it will be ok.  So she tugged a bit more.  

This all unfolded while I was trying to “un-stick” a grocery cart from the rest of the stack.  I gave up on the first set and moved to the next row of carts.  

Sawyer and Addison still right there with me.  But as the lady tugged more, the entire display of 12-packs started to teeter just a bit.  Then the teeter turned into a lean.  I pushed Sawyer back out of the way but as the display started to absolutely collapse, I yanked Addison up just before they came crashing down right where she had been standing.  Then???  Then we all got a soda shower. One kicked her on the leg and another one landed on Sawyer.  Overall, we came out unscathed.  The lady, on the other hand, was mortified.  I felt horrible for her.  She was obviously embarrassed and extremely apologetic.  Addison wailed, more out of fear than anything else. The rest of the time we were in the store, between her labored sighs and sobbing, she kept referring to those scare-wey blocks, momma!!! Scare-wey.

And so, in summary, that’s how parenting is going.  I'm so glad you asked.






From the Fullness of His Grace,

Lacey


Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.  
Galatians 6:9 

How he put himself to bed.
September 13, 2017

2 comments :

  1. Waldo in a bath towel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- I was just feeling that delusional. I was sure I found the silhouette of Waldo's head in the fibers of a bath towel. I think I need more sleep :)

      Delete