Saturday, September 3, 2016

Ministry of the Moment ::: Alternately Titled: I Think Jeff Would Call Me A Rookie...(I don't know if I believe it when people say it gets easier...)

You guys...I've literally worn my pajamas all day.  ALL. DAY. LONG.  I never do this.  I'm usually the one marching around public mumbling to myself pajamas aren't pants, people!  Granted, I didn't go into the general population today, but still.  This is the stupor from which this post is coming to you...

So today, without thinking I pointed out that Sawyer had a boo boo on his finger -- he immediately announced he needed a band aid.  You’d think I didn’t even know that I lived with a toddler. 

Toddler: 2,517
Mom:     0

Lunch, though, had a quick way of reminding me.  He was eating…without a fight.  Enjoying the rare peace at lunch, I didn’t catch on that he was merely pretending to eat his cheese when instead, he was actually covering the floor under the table in a thin layer of colby jack.  Merp.  It wasn’t even that big of an offense but I was thankful his dad took care of the incident while I talked my blood pressure down.

I’ve read the Scriptures about how children are a blessing.  Those words are sweet and true.  True as the sun will rise and even plausible too.  


I just don’t recall the other side where children break, fumble, and scuff – where they exercise our resolve and chew on the furniture.  My little ones test my capacity for peace, kindness, patience, and confidence... ... ...
Am I even doing any of this right?  Am I totally messing them up?

Shortly after the cheese debacle, we were going to go out front - he wanted to practice his ‘nastics (gymnastics for those of you who don’t speak Toddler).  I asked if he wanted his sandals or his sneakers.  Nickers, he exclaimed!  (That kind of confidence only comes from a toddler who has no idea he’s not saying it correctly-ha!)  This helped my heart though, because it helped me to remember this simple truth: he is still so small and I love that!

But kids, though, have a way of making things that are relatively simple seem impossible.  Like leaving the house or brushing one’s teeth or eating a muffin.  For the love of all that is holy, I just want to eat my own muffin and have my own breakfast without having to share to the point that there are floaties in my orange juice!  I only have 17-ish more years of this before I am no longer obligated to give my food away to the tiny army I created.  Anyway…is it clear that I need a therapist yet…Liz?

Today was much like many of our days.  Just yesterday I was trying to catch up on precept homework when the littlest one seemed set on playing with my Bible’s ribbon markers.  It was either that or holding her.  I eventually settled for the latter. 


It’s easy to lose sight of the bigger picture in parenting.  I have a tendency to want them to grow up.  To learn how to put their underwear on correctly and to manage life’s difficulties {read: crooked socks} without all the whining.  What I really should be focused on though, is savoring these simple joys.  Not so much on just helping them grow up but to grow in the favor of the Lord  -  the rest will follow. Because one day, they’ll have their underwear on straight and won’t need me to sing them to sleep anymore.  But the lessons I convey now about who God is and who they are in relation to Him, it’s timeless and priceless and will do more far more for their soul than any other thing I could teach them.  

And really, I don't really want them to grow up...not too quickly, anyway.  It breaks my heart they're already so big.  So while I could do without the 6am arguments about how their socks feel weird, I wouldn't trade this season for anything.  I need to remember that I've been equipped to serve my family; it's an honor to do life alongside this crew.  I need to remember these are holy days; gifts of love from God.  We're called to serve our families, even when we have nothing left.  At times, it's easy to compare my relatively simple life to the exciting lives of others.  But we can never define success by comparing ourselves, our children, our marriages, our lives with others.  He's placed us exactly where we need to be.  Abiding, day-in and day-out can lack some measure of pizzazz -- but be encouraged!  Embrace the ministry of the moment, within your home, towards your spouse, with your kids.  When frustrations come or disappointments...when anger visits your home and seems to overstay its welcome...when hard and difficult days linger and your faith is found wanting...and even when you've been in your jammies all day...in this fragile place, His grace is sufficient for you.



From the Fullness of His Grace,
Lacey

1 comment :

  1. Lacey, I LOVE this post. I am right there with you on so many days. So often I lose sight of all the beauty and sweetness and holiness there is in this 24/7 job of being a mom. I couldn't agree with you more; His grace is sufficient for us.

    ReplyDelete