Thursday, June 15, 2017

On Snuggling Chickens...Also On Grief

I read today that the CDC is urging people to please stop snuggling with chickens…yes, seriously…

I also read a post I had written one year ago today.  Do you remember this boy?  His family?  So much news has happened since this time last year, but I can’t tell you how often I think about this little guy and his family.  When I re-read the post it brought back perspective. 

Because, even though news has cycled and other tragedies have happened, I promise you, for this family, this wasn’t that long ago.  May we not be forgetful.  May we be His hands and feet to those who hurt.
6/15/2016 
I cannot ... Simply. Can. Not. 
I don't know how that family is dealing. Losing their little 2-year old, Lane in a horrifying and tragic way while on vacation at the happiest place on earth. How do you even put one foot in front of the other? How do you handle your other child who is with you? 
How do you go on vacation as a family of four and later return home with one member - one significant, crucial, precious member missing? 
I just cannot even fathom this. I have been weepy literally all afternoon which turned to huge sobbing tonight in the shower. It shatters us to our core...because stories like this, aren't that far fetched. It could happen to you. In your family. With your child. It could happen. To you. And it isn't because a parent was being negligent...it wouldn't be because you were being negligent... But because bad things happen in this fallen world. Unprovoked, unsuspected, bad things. 
That's little comfort to those of us who've lost a little one. 
But. 
But what will happen is that the days on the calendar will continue to come for this family, just as days have always done. But these days will be uniquely marked... These days will be dark and hard and inconceivable. Wretched. Sick. Horrendous. 
But these days will be necessary. And no amount of forethought would have changed this outcome...nope. No. Not here. Because our days are numbered - all of ours are - and you see, when Jesus calls one of us home, it's in His time. It makes the loss no less horrible but it speaks to His constant, enduring, unfailing sovereignty and hope. 
And God? I don't know this family...but He does. He knows, He sees, He cares. He is sovereign and His grace is sufficient. 
My deepest condolences to this family. Our prayers are with you and I'm so, so sorry. 

And still today...my thoughts are with this family. 

From the Fullness of His Grace,
Lacey


No comments :

Post a Comment