Monday, February 13, 2017

On the Eve of the Second Worst Holiday Ever: The One Where I Preach To Myself

I started to write a Valentine’s Day post…but then I thought about specific things that would have a lot more impact than a bunch of love words strung together. 

This is what I’ve come up with on the eve of the Second Worst Holiday Ever…(because actually, I think Halloween 10,000 times worse…)

Anyway…Here’go!

For the Husbands:
  1. You wanna upscale your man-skill?  Unload that dishwasher and wipe the water spots off the silverware.
  2. Double-down and put the kid(s) to bed.  Bonus if you can do it solo without any screaming (either from you OR the kid(s)).
  3. Whisper sweet nothings like, “I folded the laundry” and “I took out the trash.”

In seriousness, though…I’m just gonna go out on a limb and assume that male-readership here is negligible at best.  So wives…let me preach because these words are more for me than they are for you.

What is a wife to gift to her husband on Valentine’s Day anyway…on any day for that matter? 

Now let me be clear…I’m not knocking an actual gift.  I’m just suggesting you up your game a bit and dust off the ol’ kindness you put down on the shelf and never picked back up again…(and, for a second time, let me reiterate, I’m sharing this post but I’m preaching to myself).

What if this list were to start with contentment?  I think it would bring my husband joy to return home day in and day out to a contented wife.  Someone who refrains from letting circumstance, envy, and bitterness into her heart.  Someone who is genuinely content and not just the kind that comes from financial security but a deep-soul, true, abiding contentment.  And already I’m at the door-step of needing forgiveness.  Forgiveness because I haven’t been this kind of wife.  Not consistently, not hardly, not by a long-shot. 

Next, a character of graciousness.  The dictionary says graciousness is “marked kindness and courtesy; very polite in a way that shows respect.”  Isn’t it true that we could all stand to be a bit more gracious, especially with those with whom we live?  The tendency is that I sometimes find it easier to be more polite and just generally more gracious to complete strangers than I am to my own people.

Then what about selflessness…what about celebrating the best about him?  And thankfulness for the man he is?  And thankfulness to the Lord for bringing us together as one? 

Marriage is hard. This phase of life is hard.  Shuttling kids and wiping down sullied faces doesn’t just do itself. 

And so I know.  I know the hurried schedule gets in the way of making time to take the time to love you.  I know not all our days will be like today – what with raising a young family and all…but I also don’t want to lose today.  Just waste today.  Because I want to love better.  Show you more.  And outshine the status quo. 


Because we said vows and those don’t just mean when it’s convenient, on anniversaries, or during holidays…but always.  There are habits and mindsets and actions – re-framing and reshaping  take time.  Almost a decade in - I’m a bit of a late bloomer, a slow learner, but for things this important, it’s never too late.  And we always have today ~  to love better, show more, and outshine the status quo. 

From the Fullness of His Grace,

Lacey


No comments :

Post a Comment