Monday, May 23, 2016

Leprechaun Tears: A Story of Age, Wisdom, & Walking Worthy

I work in the world of Foster Care.  It’s been almost a decade of my professional life with a one-year, brief intermission wherein I stayed home to care for our then-6-month-old-son.  TEN as in ONE-ZERO.  This reality was driven home this past week when I received an alumni newsletter and homecoming invitation to my 10-year, class of 2006, college reunion. 


“Huh?” (I murmured aloud). “How could this possibly be?  I only just graduated, what like…?”
(***uses fingers to help do the math, eventually holds up 10 fingers***)

“…oh!”      
Ok.  Hmm… I’m not sure where those ten years went.  It sure doesn’t roll of the tongue, though – ten – two fives – a decade.
In the face of a decade, I could do one of three things (ok, really, I could do any number of things, but if you’re me, I only saw three reasonable options).  1.) Find the fountain of youth and slosh around in it; 2.) Smear the tears of seven leprechauns on my face; 3.) Do both.
Seriously though.
When I reflect on my college years, I remember how fun, busy, and loud – really, really loud – it was.  In my recollections, my skin glowed {I didn’t need the fountain of youth}.
Today, the word “old” isn’t used nearly as frequently in my vocabulary as it once was.  Maybe it’s because it’s hard to decipher.  When you’re so close to a thing, it’s hard to see…that forest for the trees kinda thing. 
But isn’t age a thing of beauty?  Though my skin may not have a certain glow and the bags under my eyes tell a tale of a toddler up far too late last night…age, with all its wrinkles, is a beautiful thing.  Because with age, comes time – and as for time?  In the walk of the redeemed, it most often gives way to wisdom. 
I don’t know much but I what I do know, is that there’s so much more I’ve yet to gather. This journey is worthy. 
Things – the good, the holy, the pure – the things worth it…those greater joys…the ones that are found to be sincere and enduring… are only obtained through great effort, toil, and time. 
Seeking contentment?  Find your Grateful.  Searching for hope?  Know that real work is done in the valley.  Longing for joy?  It’s only contrasted by the dark.
Feeling homesick, wrestled, undone?  Run to His Word.
Oh how we…how I forget these truths?! How I fall into ungratefulness, fail to hope, and lack joy?!  How I too often neglect the Word. 
This journey is worthy. How we live—how we journey—matters.  It matters immensely.  From the fullness of His grace, may we be found walking worthy.


“For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience, joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.”
Colossians 1:9-12

No comments :

Post a Comment