Sunday, January 10, 2016

Swelling Soul

We are committed-oriented people.  

We make “commitments” all the time.  Some we initiate:  “Hey, let’s get together for lunch soon…”  And some we are wrangled into: the obligatory, “Yes, I absolutely can participate in the                                    [fill in the blank]; and sure, I would love to bring a super-complicated, takes-my-whole-Saturday-to-make, recipe!”  We make small commitments – what we order at a restaurant.  And big ones, too – school, mortgage, marriage.
 
We make “commitments” which can be easily exchanged for the word “choices,” and, if you’re like me, I fear we’re all too indifferent and often unmoved by the choices we make.  We never get together for that lunch and we fell through on the event we said we’d be at; we decide we should have ordered the number two instead of the number one. 

We drop out, default, divorce.

We are a committed as long as it’s convenient.

Lately, the church we attend has been placing emphasis on the persecuted church – to pray, support, and contribute.  Places where Christians are imprisoned, the government structure is hostile toward The Gospel, the Scripture is restricted, and so many other forms of persecution, up to death in some cases.  For these fellow believers, their commitment is a far cry from convenience. 

THIS.  This has been on my heart.  Recently, I’ve been convicted with my own complacency, especially with how I approach the Word of God – how I study, meditate, and apply Scripture in my day-to-day life.  We currently live in country where we can attend church, read the Bible, gather as an organized body of believers…we each probably have multiple copies of the Bible in multiple translations.  It’s a strange thing, how, when something is so accessible to us, we have a tendency to neglect it and, at the very least, take it for granted.  We have the Bible on our tables, tablets, phones, computers, and internet.  With any verse or passage just an arm’s reach away, I found little urgency to commit Scripture to memory.

The last few months, my soul has been swelling with an earnestness about the importance and the necessity, the responsibility and the blessing of committing Scripture to memory.  And, though we live in a place where freedom of religion is a thing, I wonder just how long we’ll have that thing. There may be a day coming and not that far off where Scripture may not be so readily available.  And what shall we say then? 
   
My prayer is that I am not so casual or careless in my pursuit of the kingdom; that I will become better at listening with the intent to obey; that Lord shows me how to apply Scripture resulting in transformation.  My prayer is that I am using time wisely – that my choices and commitments might be in right relationship.  That how I choose to use my time will greatly alter the trajectory of this life and that I would choose wisely, to meditate on Scripture.  That I would not be found sleeping  (Rom. 13:11) but instead, that I would be found seeking to know Him more fervently.  This is my prayer for you, too.

We know that God primarily reveals himself by His word and so with that...In the fullness of His grace, I will leave you with the following:

Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.
Psalm 119:11


Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
Colossians 3:16


This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.  The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I have hope in Him.”  The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him, it is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:21-26 


Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything is worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:8-9


So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:11


But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:33


For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus […] Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:4-5 and 13


Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.
Revelation 1:3


And he said to me, “These words are faithful and true;” and the Lord the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must shortly take place.  “And behold, I am coming quickly.  Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book.”
Revelation 22:6-7


All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17



This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.  Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls.  But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.  For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was.  But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.
James 1:19-25

No comments :

Post a Comment